Skip to main content

Production Support - What it means to be 24/7

I used work in - what is called in corporate parlance, a 24/7 Company. I used to feel perfectly normal. My friends and wife thought I was a zombie. This I had dismissed as a subjective observation but lately, I have been thinking that there might have been some truth in that observation.


Let me explain why I feel that way


I used to drive to my office on a motorbike. Its a 20 kms drive one way. So very complex rocket science math will tell the cautious reader that I drive 40 kms at the least everyday (tadaaa). I used to do night shifts or again in Corporate parlance; "the graveyard shift". My wife asks me one day if I remember anything that I saw on the roads that was worth mentioning when driving. I thought she had gone crazy. Why would I remember anything that i saw and what was the poin........Hey, hold on, wait a minute. jees, I don't actually remember anything nor can I recall which way I came. 'Holy Pulsar' what is happening ? I drove on auto-pilot for 20 kms and am still alive ? This cant be happening. I have 6 predefined routes to reach office. So which one did I take today ? OK, Which one I did I take yesterday? I cant remember a damn thing. What the f*#k is happening here. I seriously doubt if I am driving the Bike or if the bike is driving me. OK, I will settle for 50-50. Where is that damn Rum when i a want it ?

Now this is not actually funny - for me - even when I think about it now. During the graveyard shift days, when I come home in the mornings and am eating break-whatever you call it-fast, My wife tries to update me of the happenings since I left. This strangely sounds to me as sounds coming from different directions, bouncing off me, hitting the wall and then coming back at me and eventually fading away at a distance. I told her this. Well, guess what? She was not amused. It took hard negotiations, straight talk and another human job to save the marriage.

When you do night shifts, your body is not doing what it is tuned to do in a 24 hrs day. its going against the circadian cycle (This is a cycle with 20 wheels, all with different diameter. We humans are not nocturnal creatures. We don't hunt at night. ( otherwise called life)There are exceptions to this statement. I have to agree. Some of us do just that but for the sake of the point discussed here lets assume that what i mentioned is true. Humans 'hunting at night' is a subject for an entire new blog which will come later. Thank you).

So ladies and gentlemen of this august assembly, please go your companies and tell them to start teams in the US to do their day shift and have teams in India to do their night shifts.

Just how much money can you make by doing away with jobs in the US ? and who gains ?

Definitely not you. Your health, wealth and marriages will get ruined and that bottle of rum wont help, Trust me on this.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Any meat stew - Malabar style

Here is a simple recipe to make stew. Any meat of your choice. cinamon and cloves, pepper, onion, green chillies, oil to sautte the onion, spices and chillies and salt to taste Heat oil, throw in the cinamon and cloves ( how much cinnamon and cloves you need is something you will have to figure out after a few attempts. there is no fun in telling you that you need 10 grms of cinamon andf 10 florets of cloves. ) when the aroma fills the room, throw in the onions, green chillies and sautte for some more time. when the onions become pale , throw in the meat and pepper an salt. Do all this in a pressure cooker if the meat is a bit tough. when its cooking, make a cup of coconut milk. there are diffrent ways of doing this. the easiest way is to run to the nearest supermarket and get a packet of coconut milk powder. follow instructions on the packet and you should get some coconuit milk without too much hassles. after the meat is cooked, open the pressure cooker and turn the heat to low/sim

The episode of the curious Chinese man

After many years of working for the great Indian IT industry, I was also send to the US for training . I was to fly from Chennai to Frankfurt and from there to Chicago, My US entry point. The flight to Frankfurt was OK. I had an aisle seat and was able to sleep once the aircraft went into cruise mode. From Frankfurt I was stuffed into an united airlines Boeing 747. Trust me, this is one hell of a big airplane. But sadly my seat was in the middle of the middle row and had aged people sitting on both sides. to add to my woes, they were not serving alcohol on this flight. Okay, no probs, I am a master at the art of doing nothing. So I sit. This flight dint have personal in flight entertainment either. They were playing some movies on a big screen up front which i was not interested in. Well I made it to Chicago in one piece. From this point things got real interesting. Before i check into immigration, I check into the restroom. and guess what, some idiot has left a soft toy in the rest

The ShareAuto Phenomenon

"The shortest distance between any 2 points is a straight line" : Anonymous This article is about a device that will teach you that there is more to that statement than what meets the eye. A normal city dwelling human being has to commute daily to somewhere, else his day is not complete. Actually it starts with commute and ends with commute. This small write up is about how a major portion of the above said variety does that in Madras. They use a contraption called a shareauto. Now, you can share an auto.....wait a minute. let me take a small detour here to explain to the uninitiated what a shareauto is. This is a 3 wheeled vehicle which is certified to transport among other things, city dwelling humans. Rajanikant is allowed by law to transport pregnant women in it by virtue of his superstar status. The capacity of this vehicle is 3 passengers and a driver. Elsewhere in the world that would be true. Coming back to the discussion, Like I was saying, you can share spa